Article #3 in a multi-article series by Noah St. John
Inventor of Afformations® and best-selling author of The Secret Code of Success
I’ve had the blessing and privilege of helping more than 200,000 people in over 50 countries through my books, coaching, online programs and live seminars. And in all that time, I’ve never met one person who doesn’t WANT to succeed. So why do so many people hold themselves back from the level of success they’re capable of?
Your mind is like an iceberg: 5% visible (above the surface) and 95% hidden (below the surface).
Let’s call the visible 5% your Conscious Mind, and the hidden 95% your Subconscious Mind.
Your Subconscious Mind is like a room that’s totally dark. When you can’t see something, it’s awfully hard to change it.
When you combine your Why-To’s and Why-Not-To’s with your conscious and subconscious, the answer to why you’re holding yourself back becomes stunningly simple.
You want to succeed—at the Conscious level. But have you ever thought about the Cost of allowing yourself to succeed? When I ask my coaching clients to tell me their Why-Not-To’s of Success, they tell me…
• What if it takes too much TIME?
• I’m too BUSY.
• I don’t want the extra RESPONSIBILITY.
• What if my FAMILY doesn’t approve of my success?
• What if my FRIENDS don’t like me when I’m rich and successful?
• What if I go for it and LOSE it all?
All of these Why-Not-To’s are held in your subconscious mind. That means, no one wakes up in the morning and says, “Looks
like a great day. I think I’ll hold myself back from success today!”
Here are four steps to clear your head trash:
- List your Why-To’s and Why-Not-To’s. Write your Why-To’s of success on one side and your Why-Not-To’s of success on the other.
- Calculate your stuckness. Score each one from 1-10, 1 meaning “it’s no big deal” to 10 meaning “this is really big deal”. Calculate your totals to see how stuck you really are.
- Share your list with a coach or mentor. They can offer objective advice and help you reach your goals faster.
- Decide if you’re willing to pay the price of success. Yes it is true that there IS a price to pay for success. Only you can decide if it’s worth it.
I say: Go for it! Because when you clear your head trash, you give others that same permission to clear their head trash—and
that’s how you will become more of Who You Really Are. Noah’s Note: Clear your head trash, and you’ll be amazed at the view.
Noah St. John is the inventor of Afformations® and bestselling author of The Secret Code of Success: 7 Hidden Steps to
More Wealth and Happiness (HarperCollins). Noah is the world’s most-quoted expert on how to clear your head trash. He’s appeared in over 2,000 media outlets including CNN, ABC, NBC, The Washington Post and PARADE Magazine. Visit www.NoahStJohn.com for Noah’s FREE video training series on how to have total abundance and well-being in just 5 minutes a