According to the Harvard Business Review, 91% of small businesses do absolutely nothing to retain their existing clients. That means only 9% of small business owners ‘get’ these facts:
** The average American business loses 50% of its customer base every 5 years.
** An existing customer spends an average of 67% more than new customers.
** It costs 7 to 9 times more to acquire a new customer than it does to retain an old one
Mailing a monthly newsletter can eliminate all of these problems — if you do it correctly.
A successful newsletter doesn’t just ‘happen’. It’s composed of very specific elements. Without them, you might as well be sending your clients a comic book.
7 Elements Your Newsletter Must Have If You Want to Retain More Clients
- Content that IS NOT all about you. Many businesses feel compelled to tell everyone how wonderful they are. Forget it. People don’t like braggers. Instead, feature content that is interesting and useful. When you’ve engaged your reader with articles they actually want to read, you’ll have earned their trust and respect. This will lead to more sales.
- Exciting, new and original content. Your readers should look forward to your newsletters each month. If your articles are boring, people will stop reading — and you won’t get any of the benefits that sending a regular newsletter can bring.
- Sense of professionalism. Your newsletter is an extension of your businesses. You pride yourself on providing personal, professional service or selling quality products. Your newsletters must match your reputation. Make sure there are no spelling mistakes. Write appealing articles. Have an attractive layout design. Print your newsletter on high-quality paper. If it looks like it was published by your 7th grader, you’ve wasted your time and money.
- Personal touch. Continue the initial connection you made with your client by revealing a little about yourself in your newsletter. A personal touch will get your newsletter remembered and enhance your image as an expert. Some people choose to reveal something about their personal lives (maybe they play golf or went on a vacation) or share tidbits about their families.
- Offers and calls to action. You should give people a reason to act NOW. If they wait, they’ll probably do nothing. So make a special offer available only for your clients. And place a deadline on it, for example, for one month only. Changing your offer each month will also help you track the effectiveness of your newsletter — you’ll easily see who buys and who buys consistently.
- Consistency. Many businesses try to save money and send their newsletters quarterly or even semiannually. Don’t bother, if that’s you. You’re wasting your time and money. Sending your newsletter out every month just like your clients favorite magazines will help make your newsletter part of your client’s daily lives.
- Print it. Yeah, yeah, yeah… printed newsletters are more expensive. But think about this: How many companies are willing to do this? Your clients aren’t stupid. They understand the value of receiving a great newsletter every month.
Plus, printed newsletters are more effective than email newsletters because:
- They don’t get caught in spam filters
- Everyone is sick of being bombarded by content online.
- Printed newsletters have a physical presence in someone’s home. This means they are likely to be kept, acted upon in the future and will probably get passed on to others because they are viewed as literature.
So put an end to your dwindling client base. Save tons of dollars by marketing to proven buyers. Capture and keep customers that would love to spend their money with you forever.
Just send your clients a proven marketing tool: A well-written monthly client newsletter.
About the Author:
David Gruttadaurio was sick and tired of wasting money on marketing that didn’t work. So he searched for a profit-producing, client-retention & referral-generating tool until he found newsletter marketing! Now go to http://www.NewslettersMadeForYou.com & get his FREE Profit Exploding Newsletter Secrets Report that reveals how to retain more clients and reclaim tons of money now simply with newsletters.